Service Platform Testing
MAP, CAP/CAMEL - The Services Enablers
With the current wireless technologies becoming more and more mature, telecom operators are forced to find more competitive differentiators than just operating a stable and reliable network in order to survive in the highly competitive wireless market. Besides attractive pricing / tariffing schemes, offering new services is the most prolific way for emphasizing competitive advantages.
With the continuous evolution of technology, new services are more and more being provided by independent service platforms rather than by functional units directly integrated in core network elements. From a network topology perspective services platforms are further network elements deployed in the core network in order to provide the related services including:
- Interactive Voice Response Systems (IVR)
- Voice Mail Systems (VMS)
- Video Mail Systems (Video MS)
- Tele Voting
- Mail/SMS to Text Conversion
- Location Based Services
- Video Streaming
- TV streaming
- Audio Streaming
- Video Calls
There is one common topic for the platforms providing the different services; they must be fully integrated into a core network infrastructure. Thus, service platform testing becomes a key issue. Integration of such services platforms in wireless networks is often done using MAP and CAP/CAMEL applications.
When integrating any type of service platform into the core network, interoperability verification is an absolute must in order to ensure correct interoperations. Interoperability testing covers various aspects including:
- Feature verification: does the service platform provide the expected features?
- Load verification: is the service platform capable of managing certain load conditions?
- Interoperating in a multi-vendor network: do the core network and the service platform "understand" each other?
The Nexus8610 Traffic Simulation System offers a comprehensive set of features and test functionality covering all this aspects including:
- Simulating various types of interfaces for Mobile (3G, 2.5G/2G) NGN and PSTN networks including IuCS, IuPS, GPRS Gb, GSM-A, MAP,CAP/CAMEL, SS7-ISUP, IN, H.248/MEGACO, SIP/RTP
- Performing function and load tests on control-plane and user-plane
- Performing interoperability and interworking testing on control-plane and user-plane
- Powerful and flexible scripting for testcase generation
- Service quality verification
- Long duration robustness and stability testing to ensure carrier-grade quality, optionally supported by Test Automation for 24 x 7 fully automated testing